· Always be sure to lock the door from your home into your garage, even when you’re home.
· Prune shrubbery so it doesn’t obscure windows or doors.
· Plant thorny bushes or cacti under windows.
· Never hide house keys under the door mat or a rock. Instead give your key to a trusted neighbor.
· If someone comes to your door asking to use the telephone, make the call yourself. Do not let them in!
· If someone in a vehicle asks for directions, answer from a distance. Do not approach the vehicle!
· Secure sliding glass doors by installing locks or placing a wooden dowel in the track to jam the door.
· If an unknown visitor uses the bathroom, he/she may unlock the window to gain entry later. After the person leaves, be sure to double-check the window to ensure it is closed and locked.